Here are a few posts you may find of interest:
Life in general / Being an expat / Living abroad / Stuff you'll see here
- "Make it a good day"
- Getting a haircut
- Aegyo (Being "cute")
- Eating dog in Korea
- Eating dog in Korea 2
- The gas bill
- Studying Korean
- DVD bangs (Movie rooms) Good places to watch a Korean movie!
- Advice to newcomers from the Cheorwon Crew
- Teachers dinners and mountain climbing
- School dinners/School life
Teaching / The teaching life
- Harry Wong's "10 Beliefs of Successful Teachers," quoted from his book The First Days of School.
- Playing UpWords with the HS students
- Give the students time to work things out themselves
- Writing alongside the students
- Role plays about traveling
- The 10 minute break between classes: Teacher/office edition
- Playing the "Sage on the stage" vs the "guide on the side". Sometimes you have to change your style.
- Bring your materials to class
- Bring your materials to class 2: Notebooks and lines
- Let the students choose the next speaker/participant
- Making dreidels with the MS girls
- Know what the kids like
- Wait times: Give them time to think
- Be ready for venue / classroom changes at any time
- Never contradict your co-teacher. For consistency's sake.
- Smart phone addiction among the students. Over 2/3 of the youth have smart phones in Korea. Watch out.
- The 10 minute break between classes: Student and cell phone edition
- Indoor voices. Get ready. The hallways might get loud.
- The last day of the Fall 2012 term
This should be enough to get you started. Enjoy!